This Privacy Statement provides detailed information on when and why we collect your personal information, how we use it, the conditions under which it may be disclosed to others and how we keep it secure.
We are committed to maintaining the security of your personal data, respecting your privacy rights and processing personal data fairly and lawfully. The processing of your personal data is carried out by Headway Essex (referred to as “we or us” in this policy) which is registered with the Information Commissioners Office.
Headway Essex provide support and advice to those affected by acquired brain injury living in Essex. Our Mission is to ensure everyone living with the effects of acquired brain injury has the opportunity to lead a fulfilling life.
When do we collect personal data from you?
We may collect your personal information when you:
- visit our website or mobile site
- register or participate in one of our fundraising events
- make a donation to Headway
- purchase goods we sell
- enquire about the services we offer
- attend or receive a service from us
- apply or accept a job vacancy or volunteer position
What information do we collect?
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to service provision, client surveys and/or fundraising events
Why do we need to collect personal data from you?
We need to collect personal information in order to understand your needs and provide the products or services you have requested from us. We will not collect any personal data from you we do not need in order to provide and oversee this service to you.
How will we use the information about you?
The information you provide enables us to provide you with a better service, and in particular it will enable us to:
- Process a donation that you have made
- Fulfil orders that you have submitted
- Administer fundraising event registrations
- Gain feedback on the services we provide
- Notify you of changes to our services
- Send communications you have requested and delivered in the format you have chosen
- Administrate internal record keeping
- Produce valuable statistical information, this is always anonymised
- Process and progress candidates who wish to work with us
- Send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you have given us permission to do so.
We may analyse your personal information to create a profile of your interests and preferences in order to tailor the information we send you.
Profiling may also be used as a way to identify potential donors and fundraisers and to help us better understand Headway Essex’s current supporter base.
We always look to ensure that any profiling is conducted in a way that does not intrude on an individual’s privacy.
Use of ‘cookies’
These files are then read by the website each time you return to the site. These text files allow a website to remember your device and how you interacted with the website.
The cookies we use
We use the cookie categories set out by the International Chamber of Commerce in its UK Cookie Guide.
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are essential for you to move around our website and to use its features, for example making a donation, and purchasing tickets or goods for a certain event or activity.
- Performance cookies. These collect anonymised information about how you use our website, for example, the pages you visit.
- Functionality cookiesare anonymous and remember the choices you made to improve your experience, like your text size or location. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog.
- Targeting or advertising cookiescollect information about your browsing habits in order to make advertising relevant to you and your interests.
You can opt out of all our cookies (except the strictly necessary ones). Find out how to control and delete cookies in your browser.
But, if you choose to refuse all cookies you may not be able to use our website properly.
Links to other websites
The Headway Essex website contains links to other websites of interest. Please note that once you have left our site via a link we have no control over that other website and therefore cannot be responsible for any information you provide whilst visiting such sites which are not governed by this privacy statement. We encourage you to read the privacy statements applicable to the sites you visit.
Who has access to your information?
Employees and volunteers of Headway Essex have restricted access to the information we hold, which is appropriate to their role within the organisation.
Third Party Service Providers working on our behalf: Whenever we use third party service providers, a contract is in place to control, protect and secure your privacy.
Secure online donation pages: We use a third party payment processor, who specialises in the secure online capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions. If you have any
questions regarding secure transactions, please contact us.
How do we store and keep your personal data safe?
The information we hold on you is stored on our secure servers which have the necessary technical measures in place to protect your data.
Monetary transaction taken over the internet will be encrypted using SSL (secure sockets layer) technology.
Non-sensitive details (e.g. email address) are transmitted without encryption over the Internet and therefore are not guaranteed to be 100% secure. Information transmitted this way is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access.
If you use our services while you are outside the EU, your information may be transferred outside the EU in order to provide you with those services.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
Your personal data will not be held for longer than is necessary and is retained and destroyed securely, in line with legal requirements, good practice and to ensure we provide you with a high quality service.
Controlling your personal information – “Your Rights”
With effect from 25th May 2018, The General Data Protection Regulations ensure that all individuals have the following rights:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right of rectification
- The right to erasure, unless your data is being processed in line with a legal requirement
- The right to restrict processing, except for processing related to a legal requirement
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
Exercising your rights
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to Administration, Headway Essex, 58b Head Street, Colchester, CO1 1PB or emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You have the right to request to have your personal data erased, unless your data is being processed in line with a legal requirement by writing to the Governance Manager, Headway Essex, The Headway Centre, 2 Boxted Road, Colchester, Essex, CO4 5JD or email email@example.com.
- If you would like a copy of the personal information we hold on you (known as “a subject access request”) please request this in writing to the Governance Manager, Headway Essex, The Headway Centre, 2 Boxted Road, Colchester, Essex, CO4 5JD. All subject access requests will be processed in line with current legislation.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete or you object to the way in which your personal data is being processed, wish to raise a complaint about how we are processing your data or wish to withdraw or change your consent for the processing of your data, please write to the Governance Manager, Headway Essex, The Headway Centre, 2 Boxted Road, Colchester, Essex, CO4 5JD or email firstname.lastname@example.org us as soon as possible.
Changes to our Privacy Statement
We will review our Privacy Statement from time to time and any changes will be posted on our website and where appropriate, notified to you by email. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our privacy statement.